Skip to content

Canada eTA

Electronic Travel Authorization Application Agency


The following 55 countries can travel to Canada visa-exempt and must apply for an eTA:

Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Chile, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Vatican City.

The United States is also visa exempt but U.S. citizens are not required to apply for an eTA when traveling to Canada.


Gerhard and Angela

Gerhard and Angela are a couple of surfers from Germany and Mexico enthusiasts. After months of planning, in the following month they will finally embark their flight that will take them to the Pacific coast in Mexico.

Their travel will take a stopover in Toronto, before continuing on to Mexico City.

Despite the fact that Gerhard and Angela will stay in Toronto only at the airport for the time necessary to transit to their next flight to Mexico, upon arrival in Toronto they will still have to pass the Canadian immigration and customs controls which means they will require an eTA.

After their email, our customer service team confirmed to them that they must obtain a Canada eta before boarding their flight to Toronto.


Gloria is a citizen of Mexico and will travel this summer from Mexico city to London to visit her daughter who is a student at the London School of Economics. She has found a great price on Air Canada so instead of taking a direct flight from Mexico City to London she will have a short layover in Montreal on her way to London.

Although she is not staying in Canada and will only be transiting through Montreal airport, she will have to go through Canadian customs and immigration controls which means she will need to apply for a Canada eTA.
After Gloria’s email to our customer service team, she received an e-mail confirming that she does need an eTA.