Skip to content

Canada eTA

Electronic Travel Authorization Application Agency


Only travellers from the 55 countries that are visa exempt and U.S. permanent residents (Green Card holders) need to apply for an eTA, and only if they are travelling to Canada by air.

An approved eTA is mandatory for all passengers including children. If you are entering Canada via automobile through one of the designated land borders with the United States then you are not required to apply for an eTA.

If you hold a Canadian visa, Canadian permanent residence or Canadian citizenship, you do not need an eTa either.

Citizens of countries that are not visa exempt however must apply for a regular visa at a Canadian embassy or consulate.

If you are from a visa-exempt country and have been granted a study permit or work permit, IRCC will automatically issue you an eTA when they accept your study or work permit application.
However, if you are from a visa-exempt country and received your permit before August 1, 2015, you may need to apply for an eTA if you plan to leave and return to Canada by air.

If you are a dual citizen, meaning you hold Canadian citizenship and at least one other citizenship, you do not need an eTA to enter Canada, but you must be travelling with a Canadian passport.

If you are a permanent resident of Canada, you do not need an eTA. You will need your valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card) or Permanent Resident Travel Document to travel to Canada.

Remember that you need to obtain your electronic travel permit prior to boarding your flight. You can receive your ETA in a few clicks by applying on our website