Skip to content

Canada eTA

Electronic Travel Authorization Application Agency


Can I change my immigration status while in Canada?
You will not be allowed to change your immigration status after you enter Canada.
If you plan to stay long term in Canada for work, study, marriage or other reasons you will have to leave the country and apply for a specific visa at a Canadian embassy, consulate or visa processing center.

Can I stay longer than the allowed 6 months?
It is illegal to remain in Canada beyond the validity of your status in Canada.
If your stay has not been extended by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (emergency situations only), you will lose your travel authorization and not be able to use the eTA for future trips.




Thelma is 25 years old and is of Irish nationality. About 3 years ago, she extended her trip to Toronto by several months. In fact, after falling madly in love with the city, Thelma started a bartending job at an Irish pub and stayed in Toronto for around 10 months with an eTA.

As is well known, the eTA allows a maximum stay of 180 days, and does not give permission to carry out any paid work activity on a monthly basis.

About 4 months ago Thelma, with the intention of visiting some old friends in the Big Apple, requested a new eTA.

As you can guess, the travel document was denied.

Leaving aside the fact that Thelma had worked (the immigration authorities may not be aware of this), surely the Canadian immigration had registered Thelma’s exit from the country and found that she had broken the immigration laws, remaining on Canadian soil for 10 months instead of the maximum granted 6.

The only option left for Thelma is to go to the nearest Canadian Embassy and apply for a residence visa, which in her case will be particularly appropriate and useful.