Canada is famous for its wild and pristine nature as well as its amazingly varied wildlife. Getting the opportunity to see some of the Canadian wildlife in person is a major attraction. Canada is a very sustainable and environmentally conscious country so seeing wildlife is not as difficult as some imagine. Some wildlife can be seen in a city’s rivers or lakes and in a suburban setting. We recommend you apply now online for your Canada eTA as the summer is without a doubt the best time of the year for spotting Canada’s world renown wildlife. Below are the top 10 wildlife species you should not miss on your trip to Canada:
- Grizzly bears. These bears are stunningly beautiful and dangerous as well so they should only be seen with guides and with extreme care. The best area to see these amazing animals is in the province of British Columbia.
- Bison. No animal exemplifies the wild open spaces and freedom of North America than the bison. These fury beasts can weigh up to a ton. Once almost an endangered species their situation has now normalized and they can be seen in large numbers in areas such as Elk Island National Park outside of Edmonton in Alberta.
- Caribou. The Caribou along with the maple leaf is one of Canada’s most emblematic symbols. This beautifully horned animal is found throughout Canada and is an absolute beauty to look at and to take pictures of. They can be seen in most Canadian provinces.
- The pristine and cold rivers of western Canada are the perfect location for the breeding of salmon. This very beautiful (and tasty) fish can be found in great numbers in places like Campbell River in Vancouver Island in British Columbia.
- Wolves. These dog-like predators inhabit most of Canada and are beautiful to look at from a comfortable distance. Some of the best provinces to catch a glimpse of these shy creatures are Ontario and Quebec.
- Moose. This relative of the dear is a friendly and photogenic beast. Their horns have very interesting shapes. They can be found throughout the country and can be a real hazard when driving. They are located in great numbers in Banff National Park in Alberta.
- Polar Bears. These incredible bears are a real wonder to see. The best place to take a peak at them is in Churchill in the province of Manitoba. The best times to see these beauties is in October and November when they begin their seal hunting activities.
- Whales. Canada is home to spectacular whales including the Beluga. Churchill in Manitoba is also a fantastic spot to catch a glimpse of these gigantic animals. It is highly recommended to see at least once in your lifetime.
- Canadian Goose. The Canadian goose is a beautiful bird to see. It has a distinctive black head and neck with a white patch. They are found throughout Canada. A very good place to spot them is during the fall in Whistler, British Columbia.
- Beaver. Canada’s national animal, the beaver can be found throughout the country. The beaver is historically linked to the development of Canada as many of the original settlers in Canada came for the fur trading business that was almost exclusively derived from beavers. A great place to observe these hairy little beasts is in Prince Albert National Park in Saskatchewan.
Canada’s varied and abundant wildlife is one of the highlights of any visit to this great country. In general, the best time to visit Canada and enjoy the diverse wildlife is in the summer months from April to October. Get your eTA now and enjoy Canada’s wildlife and take with you pictures that you will be showing off to friends and family for a long time.